MINUTES OF COMMITTEE MEETING

Date: 14/2/2006

Location: Home of Eleanor Stephenson

Present: Robert Brierley (president), Eleanor Stephenson, John Cott, Chris Walta, Barrie Gallacher, Bob Strickland, Rosemary Buchanan , Jim Breen

1. WELCOME

Robert welcomed all present.

2. CORRESPONDENCE

None tabled

3. BUSINESS OF THE MEETING

Agenda items:
Meeting dates / Working bee dates / AGM / Newsletter / Clean Up Australia Day / Finance Report / Melbourne Water grant / Other business

Meeting schedule for 2006

Committee Meetings 2nd Tuesday of the month
Monthly Working Bees 3rd Sunday of the month

Month Committee Meeting
Date and Location
Working Bee Date
March 14th Chris' - 29A Cornell St 5th Clean Up Australia
19th
April 9th AGM Robert's - 3 Nicholsdale Rd 16th
May 9th Jim's 29 Cornell St 14th
June 13th Barrie's 7 Quinton Rd 18th
July 11th John's - 2 Hollsmore St 21st
28th School's Tree day
30th National tree Day
August 8th Rosemary's Through Rd 20th
September 12th Bob's 160 Through Rd 17th Spring Planting Festival
October 10th Eleanor's I Weafgreen Crt 15th Spring Planting Festival
November 14th Chris' 29A Cornell St 19th Spring Planting Festival
December 12th Dinner out 17th (only if numbers permit)

4. NEWSLETTER BACKCREEK BRIEFINGS FEBRUARY 2006

The next edition of BACKCREEK BRIEFINGS will be prepared by the 24/2 ready to be distributed on the 27/2. This will allow sufficient time for the announcement of the 2006 AGM

5. CLEAN UP AUSTRALIA DAY

Things to be remembered for the day: Eleanor to take care of registration the day as in previous years Arrange for MacDonalds to sponsor the cordial Check if Coles is happy to sponsor gloves for the day there never seemed to be sufficient gloves to go around Malcolm's tent would be useful on the day for the registration tent. Rosemary to arrange with the local paper Progress Leader due out at the end of February to have a picture and article to promote FOBC work and call for additional volunteer help. Robert to prepare a press release for this.

6. MELBOURNE WATER GRANT

An application is being prepared for a 4000 grant to continue planting around the fiord area

7. SITE PREPARATION FOR NATIONAL TREE PLANTING DAY July 2006

The area to focus on above the board walk under the oaks. We need to prepare list of appropriate planting under oaks Robert and Barrie to use the master plan to identify the needs and prepare plant list. Council to be contacted about thinning the current sapling growth etc and also to maintain a weed spraying schedule. The area below the board walk needs to have some fill in planting. John happy to bring his chain saw to working bees to clear heavier timber.

8. GLEN WAVERLY INDIGENOUS PLANTS GROUP

The group has visited the FOBC site with a Melbourne Water person. There is to be a follow up visit with Robert and Barrie o21/2 at 7.00pm.

9. DISUSSION RE CONSOLIDATION OF THE WORK REQUIRED

The group discussed the need to continue discussion with Melbourne Water and Council to gain commitment for the short and longer term work that is needed at the site. It is important to link the current work undertaken at South Surrey Park and plan for the continuity of the work between Riversdale Rd and Cornell St section of Back Creek. The steepness of the terrain poses very different challenges in this section that will require strategic management of dangerous willow removal, management of appropriate creek bed work and planting out the steep eastern slopes. The FOBC see themselves as being able to contribute to the capital works that are required through the persistent work that is carried out. It was suggested that one way to promote the work was to use a sandwich board when there is a working bee Jim said he would follow up the costs associated.

10. FINANCES

Bob presented the STATEMENT OF ASSETS AND LIABILITIES as at 31/122005 Bob to contact the auditor John Spence about auditing the FOBC Financial Statements for 2005. A report also needs to be prepared for the completion of the Quinton Rd 6000 grant. The TERM DEPOSIT is to be extended for another term.

11. OTHER BUSINESS

Jim reported that a wattle planted along his fence on the first National tree day has become a problem and requested it be removed approved.

NEXT MEETING At Chris Walta's home 29A Cornell St

FRIENDS OF BACK CREEK
February 2006
Minutes prepared by Chris Walta